Not every painting we do is a success and that’s okay because we learn from our failures much more than the things we get right. With this in mind, here is a farmers market painting I did for a local magazines cover, which explains why the sky is just open like it is (masthead). It’s okay, not great and the before and after images placed side by side are to show where I did triage. We didn’t lose her but she is still in critical condition. I just started off on the wrong foot. My first idea: black is back on the palette. All this mixing of primaries to get the dark neutrals, screw that, I’m going right for the dark stuff. That was the first hour, the last two hours were dedicated to trying to put life back into the lifeless color. No matter what I did it still had a bad aftertaste… too much salt in the soup.
The next day I went back into the painting and tried to save the worst areas in order of most urgent need (triage): first was the sidewalk at right to bring more cools into the overly pink painting, then the building in the background got lightened to push it back, then the trees and then the sky so they all worked together. Then I addressed the pattern of people changing some to lighter colors and editing out a few, if you go back and forth from one to the other you can see what has changed. I put more info in some areas (the boxes of fruits and veggies in the foreground) and took out as much as I could elsewhere. Still a little too much of this and too little of that. I’ll let it sit awhile and revisit. In the meantime I’ll move on to other things.